THE HENTON HEADLINES
June 30, 2022
Here’s the scoop for the week
“Keep Kids Fed Act” Signed into Law by President Biden on June 27, 2022
This action extends summer meal waivers which means all students will be able to receive free meals this summer. In addition, the federal reimbursement rate for school lunch was increased by 40 cents and breakfasts by 15 cents for the school year beginning July 2022. The legislation does not include universal free meals and families who are eligible for free and reduced lunch will need to complete paperwork as in the past.
U.S. Supreme Court Rulings with E-12 Implications
- The Court ruled a football coach in the state of Washington who prayed on the 50-yard line with players was within his rights. The coach had repeatedly defied school district directives to stop the practice claiming he had the right to exercise his religious beliefs. The Supreme Court sided with him. Stay tuned for how this might affect similar situations in our public schools.
- The Court ruled it was unconstitutional for a Maine voucher program to not allow public funds to go to schools that promoted religious instruction. The ruling does not require states to fund private schools if they are not already doing so, but in the case of Maine that was providing funds to private schools, it cannot exclude funds from private religious schools.
Title IX Proposed Changes:
Here is information from the U.S. Department of Education on recently released changes proposed to Title IX, and the link where this information may be found:
The proposed regulations would:
- Clearly protect students and employees from all forms of sex discrimination.
- Provide full protection from sex-based harassment.
- Protect the right of parents and guardians to support their elementary and secondary school children.
- Require schools to take prompt and effective action to end any sex discrimination in their education programs or activities – and to prevent its recurrence and remedy its effects.
- Protect students and employees who are pregnant or have pregnancy-related conditions.
- Require schools to respond promptly to all complaints of sex discrimination with a fair and reliable process that includes trained, unbiased decisionmakers to evaluate the evidence.
- Require schools to provide supportive measures to students and employees affected by conduct that may constitute sex discrimination, including students who have brought complaints or been accused of sex-based harassment.
- Protect LGBTQI+ students from discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and sex characteristics.
- Clarify and confirm protection from retaliation for students, employees, and others who exercise their Title IX rights.
- Improve the adaptability of the regulations' grievance procedure requirements so that all recipients can implement Title IX's promise of nondiscrimination fully and fairly in their educational environments.
- Ensure that schools share their nondiscrimination policies with all students, employees, and other participants in their education programs or activities.
The link provides additional information and notes a 60-day public comment period should you wish to provide your thoughts.
Here is one more link where you may find what is new in the proposed changes: New Title IX proposals make tweaks rather than overhauls | K-12 Dive
MDE Response to Letter Circulating Regarding Ed-Fi
Roughly 70 school districts signed a letter sent to MDE requesting input on the implementation of Ed-Fi and for a delay in implementation. Here is MDE’s response to the letter.
Kudos to Two Superintendents!
- GFW Superintendent Jeff Horton from GFW was selected as one of the 2021 National School Public Relations Association’s “Superintendents to Watch.”
- Alexandria Superintendent Rick Sansted was selected for the Education Policy Fellowship Program.
Way to go Jeff and Rick!
New Member Benefit: Urgent/Crisis Communication Resource
MASA has partnered with the Donovan Group, a communication firm that focuses exclusively on public K-12 education. When you’re dealing with an urgent or crisis situation, the Donovan Group team will help you gather the facts, determine who you need to reach first, and communicate quickly, accurately, and effectively.
To use the service, simply call 651-615-8165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. An experienced communications professional will help guide you through managing communication around the issue facing your school or district. This service is available seven days a week, 24 hours a day. 365 days a year.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill
|June 1||First Day of LGBTQ+ Pride Month
First Day of National Safety Month
|July 1||MASA & MASE Membership Renewal | Renew online!|
|Business Partner Renewal Online!|
|July 15||MSHSL Supply Order|
|July 31||MSHSL Membership Dues|
|August 1||MDE Back to School Conference | Minneapolis Marriott NW|
|August 8||MASA Federal Advocacy Committee Meeting | Virtual|
|MASA Committee Sign-Ups Coming Soon!|
|August 10||MASA Executive Development Committee Meeting | Virtual|
|August 12||MASA Foundation Board Meeting | Quora Education Center|
|October 1||MASA Board of Directors Meeting | Madden's on Gull Lake|
|October 2||Dale G. Jensen Golf Classic | MASA Foundation Golf Tournament | Madden's on Gull Lake|
|October 2-4||MASA Fall Conference | Madden's on Gull Lake|
|October 24||MSHSL/MASA Executive Officers Meeting|
|October 25||MASA Legislative Committee Meeting #1 | Quora Education Center|
|MASA Committee Sign-Ups Coming Soon!
|October 26-28||MASE Fall Leadership Conference | Madden's on Gull Lake|
|November 15||MASA Legislative Committee Meeting #2 | Quora Education Center|
|December 7||MASA Board of Director's Meeting | Quora Education Center|
|January 5||MASA Foundation Board Meeting | Quora Education Center|
|February 16-23, 2023||AASA NCE | San Antonio, TX|
|February 27||MASA/MSHSL Executive Officers Meeting|
|March 8, 2023||MASA Board of Director's Meeting | Minneapolis Marriott NW|
|March 9-10, 2023||MASA/MASE Spring Conference | Minneapolis Marriott NW|
|April 19||MASA Executive Development Committee Meeting | Virtual
|May 1||MASA/MSHSL Executive Officer Meeting|