THE HENTON HEADLINES
February 24, 2022
Here’s the scoop for the week
Ed. Orgs. Opposed to Education Savings Accounts:
The education organizations sent a letter to the Senate Education Committee objecting to SF 1525, a proposal that would establish education savings accounts to be used for private schools. Feel free to reference/use the letter in your advocacy efforts.
MASE & MASA Meet With Congressional Representatives:
MASE President Jamie Nord, MASE Past-President Sarah Mittlestadt and MASA Federal Advocacy Chair Superintendent Theresa Battle, Vice-Chair Sue Chase and MASA President Dan Bittman led meetings with all ten of Minnesota’s Congressional delegation, or their legislative assistants. Topics discussed include:
- Gratitude for American Rescue Plan funds along with the request the deadline for their use be extended. Also noted that the needs of our students and staff will not go away once the funds expire.
- The long overdue need to fully fund IDEA.
- Staffing shortages including education support professionals, teachers and bus drivers. Asked for incentives like loan forgiveness, grow your own programs, flexibility on CDL requirements, and a waiver on earning limits for those on social security.
- The cumbersome and labor intensive process of the Civil Rights Data Collection. One district submitted the data five times alone on Feb. 23.
- The long overdue need to reevaluate and revise Title I formulas.
- The loss of revenue as a result of the free nutrition programs during the pandemic. Asked for reimbursement to districts and better ways to measure childhood poverty.
- Federal grant opportunities often do not include cooperatives and intermediate school districts. When using “LEA” in bill language, ASEAs or ESAs need to be added.
"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be." - George Sheehan
|Feb. 25||Digital Learning Day|
|March 1||MDE: Statutory Deadline for Dissemination of Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) Information to Families|
|March 1||First day of Women's History Month|
|March 4||Maintenance Workers Appreciation Day & Employee Appreciation Day|
|March 9||MASA Great Start & Finance Academy | Minneapolis Marriott NW|
|MASA Board Meeting | Minneapolis Marriot NW|
|March 10 - 11||MASA/MASE Spring Conference | Register Online|
|April 20||MASA Great Start Cohort|
|June 23-24||MASA Board of Directors Retreat | Minneapolis Marriott NW|
|October 1||MASA Board of Directors Meeting | Madden's on Gull Lake|
|October 2-4||MASA Fall Conference | Madden's on Gull Lake|
|February 16-23, 2023||AASA NCE | San Antonio, TX|