THE HENTON HEADLINES
December 9, 2021
Here’s the scoop for the week
Focusing on the Mental Health of MASA Members:
Regional leaders and I met to discuss concerns we have for all of our MASA members. Top of the list was the mental health of our members. While this comes as no surprise, it was acknowledged that this will likely be a primary area of focus for all regional leaders and me for some time to come. Emotions are at an all-time high.
For what it’s worth, here are some of the ideas mentioned during our meeting:
- We must work at inspiring good “self-talk.”
- Continue the frequency of the regional meetings that have developed during COVID long after the pandemic is over.
- Find ways to celebrate our leaders.
- Leaders must reach out and help each other. Partner up and check in on one another regularly. Pick up the phone, schedule a breakfast meeting-just to stay in touch especially with those you know facing the greatest challenges. Have compassionate conversations with colleagues. Create informal mentoring relationships.
- Let your guard down and have some fun!
- Practice self-care and share what is working with your colleagues.
- If someone isn’t showing up at meetings, check in on them.
- Create activities of the month.
- Write letters to staff letting them know you care about them, are grateful for their dedication, and share any mental health support in your district that may be of assistance to them.
- Many issues facing school leaders can be resolved by the legislature. Keep advocating.
- Here are some templates AASA recently shared that might help you shift your focus:
- Concentrate on five good things each day
Jon Gordon wrote three truths about leadership:
- Leadership isn’t about gaining power. It’s about empowering others.
- Great leaders succeed because they bring out the greatness in others.
- You don’t have to be great to serve, but you have to serve to be a great leader.
|Nov. 29 - Dec. 6||
Inclusive Schools Week
MASA Women's Networking Group | 10 - 11 am | Virtual Session
MASA BIPOC Affinity Group | 9 - 10 am | Virtual Session
|Dec. 15||MASA Great Start Cohort Session #5 | MASA Offices|
|Dec. 23-27||Holiday - MASA Offices Closed|
|Dec. 28||DUE: MDE The Levy Certification System|
|Dec. 31||DUE: MDE Compulsory Instruction Compliance Data Reporting|
|Dec. 31||Holiday - MASA/MASE Office Closed|
|Jan. 1||First Day of National Mentoring Month|
|Jan. 9||School Resource Officers Day|
|Jan. 9-14||National School Librarians/Library Week|
|Jan. 21-22||MN Aspiring Superintendents’ Academy|