THE HENTON HEADLINES
July 1, 2021
Here’s the scoop for the week
Synopsis of MASA Board of Directors Retreat
The Board of Directors met on June 24 and 25 in person at the Marriott Northwest. The meeting included a presentation on leadership by Joe Cavanaugh, Founder and CEO of Youth Frontiers, and an update on MASA equity work provided by members of the MASA Equity and Excellence in Education (Triple E) Steering Committee, Katie Pekel Principal in Residence at the U of M and Sebastian Witherspoon Executive Director of Equity Alliance.
The Board of Directors worked on draft belief statements to be included in the next continuous improvement plan and unanimously passed an equity statement, and two definitions around equity and race equity. Those will be provided to members as the continuous improvement plan process continues to move forward.
Finally, the Board of Directors conducted an evaluation of me. I am happy to report that I will continue to be the MASA Executive Director and today already marks the beginning of my second year! I am so honored to support the staff and members of MASA.
Know someone who has lost his/her COVID-19 vaccination information?
Here is a helpful link: https://redcap.health.state.mn.us/redcap/surveys/?s=FPMPPRFAWF
AASA Critical Race Theory Resources:
- Partnership for the Future of Learning Messaging Memo (communications guidance for district/state leaders on these issues)
- Critical Race Theory Messaging Memo by Shayla Griffith (pages 5-7 contain specific communications suggestions about these issues)
- Talking About Racial Equity in Education (general comms guidance by FrameWorks; illustrates research-based approaches with “Instead of this...Try this...” examples)
- EXPLAINED: The Truth About Critical Race Theory and How It Shows Up in Your Child’s Classroom (helpful definitions and descriptions)
- Messaging Guidance: Honesty in Education (comms guidance directed more for community/family advocates; useful to understand advocacy language)
- Stories of Culturally Responsive Education (collection of videos about what culturally responsive education actually looks like in schools)
“The true measure of a man isn't how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges” - Dr. Martin Luther King
|July 1||Due: MASA Membership Renewal|
|July 4||Independence Day Observed|
|July 14||MDE: District and School Student Results (DSR and SSR) files available|
|July 15||DUE: MDE Seclusion Report
|Quarter 4 (April 1-June 30) due July 15|
|July 20||Eid al-Adha|
|August 4||2021 Back to School Conference: Reconnecting - Held Virtually 8-10 am|
|Registration coming soon!
|August 6||MDE: Test Results Summary provides embargoed summary results|
|August 26||MDE: Individual Student Reports (ISRs)|
|September 1||DUE: MDE SY22 ESEA Title applications (FIN401, FIN406, FIN414, FIN417, and FIN433)|
|September 14||DUE: MDE GEER I and ESSER I Summer 2020 Funding (FIN151, FIN152, FIN153)|
|September 14||Workshop: School Tax Elections: Planning for Success in the New Normal - Registration Coming Soon!|
|September 17-18||MN Aspiring Superintendents Academy|
|September 26||Dale G. Jensen Golf Tournament - Details Coming Soon!|
|September 26-28||MASA Fall Conference - DECC, Duluth - Save the Dates!|